Shuttle buses are used to transport riders from the new York City Subway during an outage. Buses mainly operate on weekends, but if a line is in desperate need of repairs, the shuttle bus route can operate full-time.
Shuttle buses exist as far as the creation of the TA. Shuttle buses were mainly used to replace subway service, but there were a few routes that operated similar to MTA routes and we're numbered as one. Bus routes include:
- Q49 - 1977-1988, ran as a replacement for the Jamaica El between Jamaica bus terminal and Queens Blvd. In 1985, it was extended to Lefferts Blvd. By 1988, the Q49 was discontinued and was replaced by a Q55 extension.
- B39 - Fare-free Shuttle in 1999 between Marcy Av and Allen St as a replacement for the J and M between Marcy Av and Essex Street.
- B51G - Fare-free Shuttle between Grand Street and Atlantic Avenue 2001-2004. Replaced B D service over Manhattan Bridge.
- B3K - Subway shuttle during reconstruction of Avenue U and Neck Road stations from 2008 to 2010. Ran between Kings Hwy and Bergen Beach rush hours only.
- M7A - an M7 variant that ran between 14 St and 148 St making stops only at 3 stations (north of 42 St) via Broadway, 110 St, and Lenox Av, ran in the 1990s. A Lenox Shuttle train also ran between 135 and 148 1995-2008.
- M Shuttle Buses - 2 routes for Myrtle Avenue shutdown during summer 2017:
- Myrtle Avenue-Bway to Metropolitan Avenue (artic route)
- Flushing Avenue to Metropolitan Avenue via Jefferson St L
- Local route on Myrtle Avenue between Broadway and Wyckoff Av with stops at Knickerbocker Av and Central Av September 2017-April 2018.
- Cuomo station overhaul shuttle buses - Shuttle Buses operating during 6-8 month station overhaul projects on select lines:
- R between 86 St and Atlantic Av (9 St late nights) stopping at Bay Ridge Av, 59 St, 53rd St, 36 St, Prospect Av, 9 St, and Atlantic Av; June 5th 2017-September 8th, 2017
- Astoria Shuttle between Ditmars Blvd and Queens Plaza, stopping at Astoria Blvd, 30 Av/Broadway, 36/39 Av, and Queens Plaza.
- Fix and Fortify Shuttle Buses - many Shuttle Buses were operated during the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy:
- All shuttle buses at first operated north on 3rd Avenue and south on Lexington Avenue until train service into Manhattan was restored.
1. Between Atlantic Avenue-Barclays Center and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Manhattan Bridge
2. Between Jay Street-MetroTech and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Manhattan Bridge
3. Between Marcy Avenue and 57th Street-Lexington Avenue via the Williamsburg Bridge
- A shuttle buses between Howard Beach and Far Rockaway late 2012 until May 2013
- G shuttle buses between Nassau Avenue and Court Square during the summer of 2014 as well as a handful of weekends in 2013.
- L Shuttle Buses in two sections, stopping at Lorimer Street, Essex St:
- Grand St to Broadway-Houston St
- Grand St to 1 Av-14 St
- Two new M14 SBS routes:
- M14B- Abingdon Sq to Chelsea Piers
- M14L- Union Sq to Bedford Av L
List of routesEdit
There are many routes that can be operated by New York City Transit, but rarely by MTA Bus. These routes only operate whenever a service change occurs. All shuttles are free to ride:
|Route covered||Code name||Section||Notes|
|1 train||1a||242 St to 207 St||To 207 St A station|
|1b||191 St to 168 St||During fasttrack nights, buses extend from 168 St to 148 St 3 Station|
|1c||168 St to 96 St||May sometimes combine with 1b to operate one shuttle route between 96 St and 191 St|
|1d||Dyckman St Shuttle||